"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
Wow. It's been almost two years since my last entry. Brian Kingman has been eclipsed by Mike Maroth and his remarkable 21-loss season for the Tigers. Andres "Big Cat" Gallaraga has retired and handed the torch to Sammy Sosa as the new reigning active strikeout king. The third Matrix movie was released and sucked just as bad as the second.
Not everything has changed, though. FOX News is still neither fair nor balanced. Anna Kournikova is still hot, and still a lousy pro tennis player (although I'm sure she could kick my ass... hell, I'd let her win.) I'm still me; you're still you.
Here's what pisses me off. For a long time, I've been into neo-punk bands that anyone who listens to Top 40 hasn't heard of, or at least hasn't heard much of. However, with the exceptions of Screeching Weasel and NOFX, many of these bands have acheived different levels of mainstream success, which bothers me a great deal. blink-182, Yellowcard, The Ataris, and lately Rise Against have all made it big, and this pisses me off because I Listened To Them Before You Did. Blink bothers me because I would still like their music if I didn't hear it so damn often. The Ataris bother me because not only did they make their break on a cover song (I hate any band that does this other than Me First;) they didn't even have the class to show some respect to the guy who made the song big in the first place. The punk mantra of rebellion against the establishment should be left to guys who can do it credibly, like Propaghandi or Rancid. Yellowcard, they're still alright. Rise Against I can't complain about too much because it's more of a record industry thing that their accoustic cover of Swing Life Away was pushed out as their breakout single. Their old stuff blows that Dashboard Confessional-esque crap away any day of the week. Speaking of Dashboard, Chris Carrabba was someone I respected musically before any of you stupid teenyboppers started falling in love with him. If Diesel Boy (the band, not the DJ) becomes mainstream popular, I swear I'm gonna have to kill the first person who tells me how cool they are.
Now Playing: Anthrax - Startin' Up A Posse
Now Quoting: Tyler Durden
Wow. It's been almost two years since my last entry. Brian Kingman has been eclipsed by Mike Maroth and his remarkable 21-loss season for the Tigers. Andres "Big Cat" Gallaraga has retired and handed the torch to Sammy Sosa as the new reigning active strikeout king. The third Matrix movie was released and sucked just as bad as the second.
Not everything has changed, though. FOX News is still neither fair nor balanced. Anna Kournikova is still hot, and still a lousy pro tennis player (although I'm sure she could kick my ass... hell, I'd let her win.) I'm still me; you're still you.
Here's what pisses me off. For a long time, I've been into neo-punk bands that anyone who listens to Top 40 hasn't heard of, or at least hasn't heard much of. However, with the exceptions of Screeching Weasel and NOFX, many of these bands have acheived different levels of mainstream success, which bothers me a great deal. blink-182, Yellowcard, The Ataris, and lately Rise Against have all made it big, and this pisses me off because I Listened To Them Before You Did. Blink bothers me because I would still like their music if I didn't hear it so damn often. The Ataris bother me because not only did they make their break on a cover song (I hate any band that does this other than Me First;) they didn't even have the class to show some respect to the guy who made the song big in the first place. The punk mantra of rebellion against the establishment should be left to guys who can do it credibly, like Propaghandi or Rancid. Yellowcard, they're still alright. Rise Against I can't complain about too much because it's more of a record industry thing that their accoustic cover of Swing Life Away was pushed out as their breakout single. Their old stuff blows that Dashboard Confessional-esque crap away any day of the week. Speaking of Dashboard, Chris Carrabba was someone I respected musically before any of you stupid teenyboppers started falling in love with him. If Diesel Boy (the band, not the DJ) becomes mainstream popular, I swear I'm gonna have to kill the first person who tells me how cool they are.
Now Playing: Anthrax - Startin' Up A Posse
Now Quoting: Tyler Durden
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home